Thursday 29 March 2007

Exploring The City


Over the past week the weather has been really nice. Temperatures have been anywhere between -1 to -10 so I have been doing a lot of walking exploring the streets. On one of those days I decided I was going to take some photos, I find the people here very interesting to watch and thought I might share some of the photos I took.

Pictures: Right a local solider, below a local lady smiling

What else has been happening? Paige has been going to kindergarden Monday to Friday at the local one which is located in the same complex in which we live. I think she is going through a stage as she seems to cry when I drop her off at the moment. The teachers say it only lasts a few minutes then she is fine. Most days her class goes out walking around the complex before having their lunch. If I am home I can see from our apartment window, she always looks like she is having fun. When I ask her does she like school she always says "yes". So as a mum I will continue to see how she goes and maybe trial only going to school three times a week instead of five days a week.
Picture: Paige walking with her glass (Paige in front right of teacher)

Yesterday I went with Nancy, Jillian and her Husband to explore "The Black Market" (just a name of the market nothing illegal there). The advice I had been given was to go with someone else that had been there before and to watch out for pick pockets. Nancy has lived here for three years so it was Jillian's and my first time to go to this market.
On arrival at the market it looked very big and while walking around looked well planned out. The same type of items are all in the same locations so depending on what you are looking for you just head to that location. The prices are very cheap compared to some of the shops in town. You could spend hours just walking around exploring. You can buy just about anything there. Being my first visit there was so much to see and I had my first experience at how pickpockets work here first hand.
Having read and had been told that groups of people like to surround you to stop you from walking and at the same time one trys to pick pocket you I always keep this information in the back of my mind. The plan I have is that if anyone ever gets too close to me from the front I always step to the side and usually they walk right buy as its me just being careful. While at the market while our group was turning a corner a man stepped in front of me so I stepped to the side and then there was another man in front of me, it all happened in a split second and I knew this wasn't right so I just gave a hip and shoulder and pushed my way through. I then turned and the men had disappeared. It was a little scary but I think they didn't expect me to do a hip and shoulder to get past. The ladies were just up a head and I asked "Did you see what just happened?" But they hadn't as their backs where turned to me. They couldn't believe they hadn't seen it. All in all it is an experience I wont forget in a hurry and I was glad that I had worn my travel wallet pouch around my neck which was tucked in to my shirt and jacket, I had nothing in my pockets at the time plus I think being on my guard helped. My experience just makes me more aware and to keep doing what I have been doing to ensure that I trust in my own instincts and be on guard. Having travelled all around the world this is the first time anything like this has happened to me so I will just put this down as an experience and continue to take peoples advice.
Picture: Three street cleaners







No comments: