Tuesday 13 March 2007

Home Sweet Home

As I sit here in our apartment writing this blog I can say that we are finally getting settled. With the past negative month behind us we can now look forward to having some sort of home here in UB.
After moving in and unpacking which didn't take me long, I was so glad to see the end of the suitcase for a while.
I had to take some time and fill out a check list of what was in the apartment. Some things I found I can use and some is just junk. A lot of the kitchen items I think I will just buy new ones as as they have seen better days.
Seeing as I feel the apartment is on the small side I decided to move some furniture around to try and get a better layout in the area I had to work with. The colour scheme is very late 1980's, greys and pinks but at least it looks neat.
The apartment has 3 bedrooms, one of which is quite small. The master bedroom has it's own bathroom with a bath and the main bathroom is off the small entry area. The living, dinning and kitchen is all in one room which is about 10 metres by 10 metres square, there is a small nook which I have put the computer in. I suppose the positive side is less cleaning to do.
One of the bedrooms I am going to turn into a playroom for Paige. I am getting some of the furniture taken out to make more room . I am replacing the king single bed that was in the room with a small fold out sofa bed that I have purchased so Paige can sleep in there if we have visitors and use the sofa to sit on to watch her DVDs.
In the apartment the floor is mostly wood except for the master bedroom as it has carpet. I was surprised that the carpet and sofa were not cleaned before we moved in, it was easy to see how dirty these items where so after complaining, this job has been booked in to get done.
Over the past week I have found many items that needed fixing. Paige decided to close one of the bedroom doors which some how locked me in the room, the only way out was to take the door handle off, I was lucky that Paige had been playing with a screw driver that I was using earlier in the day other wise I am not to sure what I would of used to take the handle off. The other item that I couldn't understand wasn't fixed was the electric cook top as it didn't work. Why? because the electric cord for the cook top didn't reach the power point. The last lady had been using a power board next to the heating part which I thought was really dangerous and making the electric cord longer must of been too hard to do in the past so I have added it to the list.
All in all we could of done a lot worse so with some ideas to add some colour around the apartment and moving some furniture around our "little dog box" will start becoming a place we can call home. Finally..........................................................

So let me show you around.........





As you open the front door you can see the living area. The mirrors in the right of the picture is a storage cupboard on one side and the laundry on the other. I think I will get sick of cleaning the mirrors because of Paige's finger prints.







As you enter the apartment you can see a door on the left side of the photo, this is the main bathroom. You can then see the dinning table, the sofa and a white door, this is Paige's playroom.
When you walk into the living area you then can see the kitchen. The above third picture is looking back from the dinning area and you can see a chair on the right hand side, this is where the nook is that I have placed the computer. In the middle of the picture is a book case, to the left of it just past the mirrors is the master bedroom. Paige's bedroom door is the one that you can see and to the right of that is the front door which you can not see.



This is the view from the dinning area window which we have a small balcony we can use in summer. On a clear day we can see the mountains in the distance. Sitting at the dinning table having a coffee is one of my favorite things to do as I enjoy looking out the window to see view.

No comments: