Tuesday 15 May 2007

Faces Of Angles

Over the past couple of weeks I have been volunteering at one of the local christian orphanages called "Gerel The Children's Place". The ladies from the Boroo Gold Spousal Group have been volunteering at many locations around UB for quite some time. There are a number of places to choose from which have been approved by the company so I know the environment is safe to visit. In reading about the locations, Gerel seemed like a place where I could fit in helping out. Even though many of the ladies had told me about the different locations and what Gerel was like I wasn't too sure what to expect so I decided to go with some of the ladies on a visit to see if I would really fit in. I was a bit worried that I would find this place hard to visit spending time with the orphaned children.

Picture: Bernadette with some of the children


On my first visit I was shown up stairs to the two bedrooms where I found a number of children. I only had a few seconds to look around before some of the children ran up and hugged me. The children had gotten to know the other ladies so to them I didn't stand out of place and all they wanted was hugs and kisses. I couldn't believe the smiles on their faces. I could see the children ranged from two weeks old to five years of age. I think I counted 20 children in total. I was told there were a number of children down stairs having lessons.
I sat on the floor with the other ladies and we played with the children. I was amazed at how they wanted to sit on my lap. One boy gave me a kiss on the cheek, in turn I tickled him and he was in fits of laughter. There are a number of locals carers that work there, they take care of all the children, doing what parents would usually do. I found it interesting to watch the carers. So many children to dress and bath so play time isn't very high on the list but I could see that they do try most of the time. There are a number of things that I see I would do differently and find that it isn't my place to change things at times this can be hard. For example one of the children had a wet nappy and I told one of the expat ladies. She then felt the nappy and told me that they don't change nappies until it is really wet as the nappies are quite expensive and they want to get the most out of each one.
When morning tea was handed out there wasn't any room for waste. A dropped cake or two is dusted off and given out which wasn't even blinked out. No matter what the ages of the children they all eat the same thing, one of the younger children was given juice in her bottle where I would never had given Paige juice at the same age. All the children seem clean most of the time and happy so that's the best I can hope for.

Picture: Group of children who live at Gerel

After my first visit I decided that I could go back and help out and only after a few visits the children have gotten to know me and I them. I have found it hard to remember all the names and have decided that it doesn't matter as to give a hug is nameless. I have noticed the other expat ladies have their favorite children as do I, it is so hard not to have a favorite child as its just something that one child does you find cute or you seem to have a small connection with one of them. The little girl who has become my favorite is one that was found on the street by the police. She is about 4 years old, to me she looks two years old and when she was taken to Gerel she was just skin and bone, she couldn't even walk. Since the last couple of weeks I have seen her put on weight and take her first steps. With such a rough start to her life she has a sparkle in her eyes when she smiles and she likes to talk even though I cant understand her she talks to me anyway.

Picture: Bernadette's favorite little girl at Gerel

It is hard to imagine how someone could abandon their child, but this type of thing I am told isn't looked down on here in Mongolia. If a mother remarries and the new father doesn't want the children some mothers will just shut the door to the children or drop them off at one of the orphanages. There is also the families that can not afford to care for their children due to no money. What ever the case it is so sad to hear about and now having seen some of these children it really breaks my heart. I am told that the children who come to Gerel are the lucky ones. I cant get over how many children there are that need help. I am glad that there are a number of other places that are here in Mongolia that helps children and families.

I know I cant change the world but I am so glad I have a chance to help out in some small way, I have even taken some of Paige's old clothes in to give as I have noticed that all the children share the same clothes depending on the sizes, there is no room to have own clothes or shoes, all the children have to share everything. I must admit it is nice to see Paige's old clothes being used.


Pictures: One little girl being sad & little boy with smile on his face

If you would like to read more about Gerel the website is www.childrensplacemongolia.org


There are many other organisations that help the Mongolian children in many ways if you would like to read more go to the following websites as I know the ladies who are spending time at these places and tell me of what a good job is being done.


No comments: