Wednesday 18 July 2007

Friends From China

This week we have had our friends Bruce and Gloria visiting from China. Ben used to work with Bruce in Indonesia and now Bruce in working in China. Gloria is a domestic goddess like me.
It has been such a nice change having friends visit and playing tourist with them. While Bruce was busy with work I showed Gloria around.
On the weekend while Ben was home we all went out for dinner at one of the local Indian restaurants. Paige was funny as she remembers the restaurant from the elephant sculpture they have there.
Picture 1: The Group, Gloria, Bernadette, Paige, Ben & Bruce

Picture 2: Gloria, Paige & Bruce



Picture: Paige with her friend the Elephant

Having visitors no matter where I have lived I always like to show what day to day living is like so I decided to take Gloria around to the local supermarkets and fresh food market here to give her a sense of where we do our food shopping. She was surprised at some of the selection of items, yes we wouldn't stave here.
The next day we where off to visit one of the factories that make cashmere products. This visit was new to me as I had never gone there before. I was surprised at the range of products they had, many different types of clothing and blankets but I was surprised at the prices. I know its cheaper to buy here then anywhere else but I thought some things where a little over priced, just goes to show I wouldn't have a clue about cashmere.


Picture: Some Ger's around town

Having lived here now for six months I hadn't done a city tour. Gloria had come across a city tour on her enquires so seeing as the tour was only for two and a half hours we thought we would give it ago.



Picture: Gloria & Bernadette in front of Gandantechilen Monastery

The tour included the Gandantechilen Monastery, Zaisan Memorial and Ulaanbaatar City Museum. I hadn't been to two of the three stops so it was good to see some places I have yet to visit. Our tour guide was a young guide who spoke pretty good English.

Picture: Looking up at Zaisan Memorial





Picture: Part of the Zaisan Memorial


Picture: Large Buddha


Picture: View from the top of Zaisan Memorial

It was really an enjoyable tour and it gave us a good look at the city and some of the sites. I think the high light for me was when I had a go at shooting a bow and arrow. We had seen a man practicing at the Big Buddha and our tour guide had asked us if we wanted to try. "Why not" I thought. Gloria gave me a bit of coaching "Make sure to pull the bow right back" easier said then done I thought but I must admit great advice as I was able to shoot the arrow 25 meters. Not bad for my first go!

The next day I took Gloria to The Black Market. You may have read about it in one of my other blogs. With the sun shining we made our way around the market and even pick up some bargains from what some items where being sold in the city at higher prices. Being aware of our safety we had to laugh when my water bottled was stolen. A drunk man had bumped into me and had decided that my water that was in my side pocket of my back pack looked quite tasty I thought it was his water as he held it up and said sorry when he passed me. Gloria then pointed out that it had been my water as she had been standing behind me. It was one of those funny things that happen here, "Don't worry about your money, it is your water they want".

A week just flies by when your having fun. It was so nice being able to spend time with friends. Seeing as Bruce is working here from time to time I am sure it wont be to long before we see them again plus we hope to get back tom China soon.

No comments: