Wednesday 9 February 2011

Attending A Wedding



On the weekend I was invited to my driver's brother's wedding. As I have been to a couple of Indonesian wedding before I have learnt that they can go all day so I decided to attend after the ceremony.
When Indonesians usually get married they will hold the ceremony at the local mosque then the local community will attend through out the day for the so called reception at invited times to eat food.
The reception is usually held under cover in an area that is able to hold a large number of people. Depending on how big the wedding is it is usually held in the play ground of the local school or in the front of a house which the surrounds roads are close off.
When I arrived at the wedding the area of the wedding was set up like a stage show where I walked past the arranged chairs, past the VIP guests table at the front then I greet the bride and groom on stage. It is tradition to place a white envelope with money in a wooden box before or after greeting the bride and groom which I did.
Yamin my driver was very happy I attended the reception, he waited until I arrived to eat his food. As a westerner we are treated as VIP so I was allowed to sit at the special table and eat the food which was on offer. It was lovely to meet my drivers family and extended family.
There was an expected 900 people who would visit and eat throughout the day. In Indonesian weddings the local neighbours, their families as well as friends and family members attend the reception so I watched a number of people come and go while I was at the reception.
At the reception the bride and groom will change at fits three times so I enjoyed seeing two of the traditional outfits, I had a wonderful afternoon experiencing a local Indonesian wedding.

Bride and Grooms first outfit




Bride and Grooms second out fit



From left Yamin and some of his family members



Bernadette with Bride and Groom


Wedding guests greet the bride and groom



My driver's wife and driver Yamin


Yamin's wife and son


Yamin's son

No comments: