Friday 12 September 2008

Wild Life

It is amazing what types of animal we have found in our garden. We live across the road from a very large pond so every now and then we find some new friends come into the yard.


Picture: A small crab

Picture: A frog

A while a go we had a cat wonder into the yard who was very hungry. Being the animal lover that I am I decided to feed it as it looked very skinny but on a closer look I thought she was pregnant. Paige decided to call her "Kira Cat". I explained to Paige that we can not keep her but if she comes around we will feed her, I was worried that she didn't have an owner in her condition, just call me "sucker". Sure enough Kira Cat returned again and again so seeing as Paige kept patting her I decided to take the cat to vet to make sure Kira Cat had her shots and to get the vet to give Kira Cat the once over. Then all of a sudden Kira Cat went away for a couple of days so the vets visit would have to wait. I said to Paige maybe Kira Cat had given birth to her babies and would return latter or maybe had found her owners as I wouldn't let Kira cat stay in side. After a couple of days I heard about the return of Kira Cat as Paige yelled from the ground floor of the house at the top of her voice. Sure enough looking slimmer and I was sure she had given birth so with that said I was able to get a cat box from the vet and was able to get Kira Cat a check up. I was right the vet confirmed that Kira cat had given birth and all was well. I did do a look around the yard and street for the kittens but with no luck. I said to Paige "I am sure Kira Cat will bring her babies to visit us when they can walk. Maybe I should be a cat whisperer as sure enough we now have three kitten running around the yard from time to time and every time they see us they take off so I am sure we will see them more in the future.



Picture: Kira Cat having a rest on the only time she was allowed inside


I think the next friend to enter the yard surprised me the most, I was glad Paige was off at kindergarten at the time. I was walking back into the yard when I notice what looked to be a snake. The first thing that came to mind was it was a toy but then I realised Paige doesn't have any toy snakes. So remembering what I know about snake I grabbed the broom just in case. On taking a closer I look I noticed that it was cut on its side and was so glad it was dead. I think either Kira Cat had brought it into the yard or Kira Cat had killed it not sure but I was just glad that the was dead. In all my years I had grown up in Australia I have never seen a snake in my the wild or in the yard and living here I see this one go figure. I decided that it was time to explain to Paige what she should do if she sees a snake or any animals in the yard and as a heart stopper she likes to run inside and yell about any animal or insect that she sees.


Picture: Banded Krait, turns out to be a poisonous snake



Information Ben had found on the snake - B. fasciatus venom is neurotoxic and has been estimated by Col. Frank Wall in 1911 to be 7 to 14 times more potent than cobra venom. There are no authenticated records of human beings having been bitten.

No comments: