Friday 22 June 2007

The Flies That Wouldn't Die

Summer is in full swing here in Mongolia. The city has taken on a whole new look. There seems to be a hive of activity everywhere in gardens, construction and hospitality. There are a lot more tourist around and you can spot them a mile away. I have even tried to help a couple of them with directions and advice on what to see and do here. One older man was having trouble in a shop trying to work out the money. I think he was from Germany. I offered him some assistance and we chatted for a while, I also offered some advice on his personal safety as the bag he was carrying was such a target to be picked pocketed. He had mentioned that he had noticed a man had been following him around so now he was fully aware at how careful he should be.
SO the flies are out in swing now the hot weather is here. Having grown up in Australia I am used to flies. When inside you grab for the fly spray and bang they are dead. Here its a different matter. I have found that the flies here are very slow so if I am fast enough I can whack them. After chasing the flies around I decided I would pick up some fly spray on my next shop. To my amazement the spray didn't work. I then tried a different brand of spray and once again there was no effect on these super flies. I think they were all just getting drunk on the spray maybe its their vodka. On my fourth product trial I finally found something that does the job even if it takes a while for the flies to finally die. For other bugs the only ones I have seen where the ones that decided to take over our apartment a while ago. These bugs I have finally gotten under control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi.. g'day mate? how is my littel Paige and Mr. Ben? i miss you all my family. i see in your fhoto you are look happy at mongolia. by the way, i meet Mr. john morgan yesterday. he come to balikpapan for play golf.